Friday, April 1, 2011

Free Art Friday 01/04/11

Whenever I speak about song writing, there comes the inevitable question about what comes first, the music or the lyrics.  Until lately I have always said that sometimes it is one or the other, but most often it is both together.  It starts with a nugget of melody, harmony or lyric at which point I sit down with pen, paper, guitar or piano and work the rest out together.  Lately, however, I have been mixing this up a bit.  The impulse has come from a desire for new inspiration that sometimes comes from new process, but also a desire to develop my lyric writing.  This is one area in my songwriting that I would like to grow even deeper.   I have been reading a bit more poetry, and have been trying to write more as well.  I have been writing just for the sake of writing, focusing on words and structure for their own sake and without the underlying thought of "how will this work with music?"  I have since been able to put a lot of it to music and there has also been a freshness in the music process.  Setting existing work to music is different from working it all together and it has been a refreshing exercise. 
So, as Easter approaches I thought that I might try to work on an Easter themed poem.  I thought it might be fun to share the process here, and so I will share what I come up with each week.  I was thinking about the theme of substitution this morning.  It is hard to see Easter and miss the incredibly important theological concept of Christ taking upon himself the punishment that our sin deserved in order that the penalty of sin might be paid, a relationship with God that was severed by sin might be reconciled and the gift of salvation and eternal life granted.  In other words...grace.  With that in mind here are some words that I came up with as a start.

'Tis truth you suffer'd in my place.
Through fists and spit upon your face,
And mocking voices to disgrace,
You loved me; You loved Adam's race
Yes, this is grace,
Yes, this is grace.

This is what I am starting with and we will see where things go from here.  I would love to hear any thoughts, comment or suggestions that you have so feel free to share as the process progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment