Friday, April 15, 2011

Free Art Friday 15/04/11

One more week, one more stanza to add to a new poem for Easter.  I have gone back and forth on the last line.  I am stuck between "and yet I live because you bled" and "I'm ransomed by the blood you shed."  "And yet I live" contrasts with the line before which mentions death, but "I'm ransomed" provides an opportunity to introduce  a biblical and theological concept of the cross.  Any thoughts?
The new stanza appears below in bold:

'Tis truth you suffer'd in my place.
Through fists and spit upon your face,
And mocking voices to disgrace,
You loved me; You loved Adam's race
Yes, this is grace,
Yes, this is grace.
'Tis truth you suffer'd there for me,
And hung instead upon the tree
That was my due, and there to bleed
The crimson flow that washes clean.
Yes, this is grace
Yes, this is grace.
'Tis truth you suffer'd in my stead,
The wrath of God and all its dread,
Body hanging, pierced and dead,
I'm ransomed by the blood you shed
Yes, this is grace
Yes, this is grace. 

I have to admit that I have cheated a bit and have already been experimenting with putting it to music.  If there is time to finish a last stanza and then record something I will post it next Friday - Good Friday.

3 comments:

  1. What about "Broken and healed by the blood you shed" ?

    Unpacks the language of "Ransomed" a bit... though may not have all the same meaning...

    But demonstrates brokeness as a precursor to receiving the grace that heals all humanity's bentness and creation as well...

    Keep on creating, Jay! Love to see your creativity - it's inspiring!

    Peace,
    Peg Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go with "ransomed." That's a rich word--one full of meaning and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments both posted here or elsewhere.
    I think "ransomed" has it. I was leaning towards this anyway as it affords the opportunity to introduce a concept right from the lips of Jesus (Matthew 20:28) concerning his sacrifice.
    I really appreciate all the comments and your willingness to take a few moments out to help me. It really helps me to think about what it is that I am trying to focus on here and how best to articulate it. It also provides other themes and ideas worth reflecting on as well.

    ReplyDelete