Monday, April 18, 2011

Celebrating 105 Years!

This past weekend I had the privilege of being a part of a memorial service for my wife's great aunt Ag.  It is not often that you are called upon to participate in a service for someone who was in her 106th year (as she like to state it).  There was much to be remembered, and much celebrating to be done.  Agnes Rankin leaves behind a beautiful legacy in the friends and family who will remember her so fondly, and in whose lives she made such an impact.
Being a person of faith, I was especially touched as I heard members of her family comment on her commitment to the church as well as the example that was set by her rich prayer life.  I have come to appreciate the legacy of faith that she leaves behind.  I see that legacy alive in my own family.  I know my father in law has commented many times about how significant the example of faith that both his parents their siblings has been on his faith life.  After immigrating to Canada from Ireland, the families remained extremely close as he grew up, and their influence was great.  My father in law would not only have a significant influence on my wife spiritual life, but on mine as well, serving as a youth group leader during my teen years.   So as I heard people reflect on Agnes' life of faith, I could not help but think that my children really carry on a legacy that was significantly influenced by her. 
One of the amazing things about Aunt Ag, was just how sharp she remained so late into her life.  At well over a hundred she could still ask me about each of my children by name, remembering details that had been shared on previous visits.   This always amazed me, until she would go on to then ask about each of my two dogs by name!  At 105 years of age then, we can say that she truly lived an amazing, abundant and long life.  What is even more amazing is the thought that, as a person of faith, although this opening chapter of her life has come to a close, a new eternal chapter has just begun.  There was always a sense with Agnes, that the only thing that was holding her back was her aging body.  She has now been set free from that and so I can only imagine what things must be like in the heavenly realm.  Even more amazing to think about, is what it might be like when Jesus returns to establish his kingdom in its fullness, when she is raised to life again in a new resurrection body ready to dance upon the streets of gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment