Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Walking

My family is a one car family. I admit that at times it is hard to be a family of 6 in the burbs and have one car. Sometimes it is a bit crazy, sometimes we make scheduling gaffs and have to scramble around or borrow a car or ask for a ride. That part probably drives me the most crazy. It is always humbling to have to ask for help, and in all honesty I would always prefer not to have to. But it is probably good for me to have to ask every once in a while.
Today we had one of those times where we had to be a bit creative with the schedule because I had an appointment booked at the same time that my wife had to work. It all worked out well however, as I had her drop me off early at the hardware store where I could then pick up a few things to finish a home repair project. I then walked from the store to my appointment. The one car thing creates opportunities to walk that in any other circumstance we would not take. My kids walked to art class yesterday, and today was my turn to walk to my appointment. Walking is good. Firstly, there is the physical benefit. It is so healthy and I love to be able to make it a natural part of what I am doing, as opposed to trying to fit in some exercise around an otherwise jammed schedule, probably in some fabricated environment like a gym that I would have to pay for. Secondly, it makes one slow down. Let's face it we live in a face paced hectic world, but when I have to walk somewhere I have to plan for some extra time to get to where I am going. That then leads to the last benefit, time to think. What a great chance to be by myself, be quiet and just think. There is something about walking that gets my brain active so being out there walking is a great creative time, even more than had I just been able to find time alone at home.
It got me thinking about how much Jesus walked, mostly because he had to I suppose. He was on to something however, and I wonder how much of that we, who live in the automotive dependent environment of the suburbs, have been missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment