Thursday, November 4, 2010

Public Confession

I hate Christian music. I know, it is an odd confession for a musician and worship leader, but it is true. 90% does nothing for me and a good 75% really bugs me. Now I mean this in a totally subjective way. I am not judging its quality, value or its message or anything like that, I just really can't stand the sound of it. Now I know that there is a lot of independent music out there that I never even get a chance to hear, and that there is probably much more diversity in this music, but most of what we hear and have access to sounds exactly the same. It is a commercial industry, and a small one at that so that means a lot of production, style and sound is exactly the same. I don't like it at all, and that means I don't like most of it. I know, for many of you this amounts to blasphemy but there are a least a few of you cheering me on!
So, I hate Christian music (for the most part), but one thing I do love is my wife. My wife often likes to have music on in the background and often chooses a commercial free Christian channel through our satellite T.V. The other day I was working form home when she went to turn on the T.V. I actually had the thought, "here we go, this is going to be a rough day" and it only took a few seconds before even the thought of it was making me cranky. I realized quite quickly however, that there was only a few bars of that music that drives me nuts before I heard it no longer. Instead my wife had switched the channel from her usual first choice to the folk channel, just for me. One more reason to love!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment