Monday, November 22, 2010

If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It

So, I was reading in Matthew again today when I read that "From that time Jesus began to preach and say 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.'" (Matthew 4:17) What struck me is that it is exactly the same message that John the Baptist had been preaching just a chapter earlier. It struck me that not even Jesus himself saw the need to really improve upon it or make a more grandiose statement. He kept it simple, didn't change it for the sake of changing it and really demonstrated the principle that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it." So how about us today? Are we willing to keep it simple? Are there things that we change just for the sake of change? Are there things that ain't broke that we insist on fixing? How many times have we tried to reinvent the wheel as we do church, or take our message to the world? Has our message suffered because of it?
Just some questions that I found myself thinking about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment