Monday, July 16, 2012

Missional Monday - Praying

This week's thought comes from a missed opportunity that I experienced last week. 
There was an individual that I had the opportunity to meet while on vacation.  A few days after meeting him, he stopped by  to see my father in law.  This time, however, he was sporting a huge bandage on the two middle fingers of one hand.  He got the bandage after an afternoon at the Emergency Room.  As it turns out, he had got his fingers caught on the back hatch of a dump truck and done rather serious damage to his fingers.   Although the thought crossed my mind, I neglected to offer to pray.  I have prayed for him in private, but I did miss the opportunity to allow my prayer to be a part of my outreach and mission. 

Prayer is, of course, good in and of itself.  I think, however, that it can also be a very important, strategic and effective part of mission.  What better way to steer a conversation or newly formed relationship into a spiritual direction.  As I wrote last week, we can aim to learn the names and build relationships with those that God puts in our path.  As small talk progresses, and as relationships are formed, offering to pray for someone as you hear about needs in their life can be a really significant thing.  It is a non threatening, non pushy way to turn the conversation to spiritual things in the context of serving and loving.  At worst someone can say no, a bit awkward perhaps but nothing more.  On the other hand they can feel loved, cared for and noticed.  Who knows what else God can do with it.

I think that this also seems to fit into what Jesus commissions his disciples to do as He sends them out to both preach the kingdom and, with the authority He grants, to do works such a healing and casting out demons etc.    
     

1 comment:

  1. The most powerful and beautiful words to hear is "let me pray for you"

    ReplyDelete