Monday, July 9, 2012

Missional Monday-By Name

The doorkeeper opens it for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. (John 10:3 HCSB)

Recognizing that Jesus knows us each by name as He calls us, it gave me pause to think about how many of my neighbours I can call by name. I actually know more of my neighbours after just a year in Hamilton than I did in 6 years in Milton. This has a lot to do with the different nature of the neighbourhoods. Milton was a commuting town and many people left early and returned late each day. My neighbours now spend a lot more time in the neighbourhood, on the street and hanging out on the front porch. To be honest, however, there are still many neighbours that I do not know. And more than just neighbours, there are many other people with whom I will interact on a regular basis as I go about my day whose names I might endeavor to learn. What it requires is being intentional.
I think that there are people in each of our lives that we will see or interact with on a regular basis. I truly believe that God can, and wants, to use us where He has us. Some of us may be sent to specific places for specific task at points in our lives, but God wants to use each of us at all points in our lives.
A good place to start is to look and see who God has put in our path. There may be many strangers who are simply one introduction and a few conversations away from being an acquaintance and even friend. When we have learned a name we are building a relationship. It is often through such relationships that we find the opportunities to serve and share and make a difference for the sake of the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment