Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Shoeing


Alright, contrary to popular perceptions around the world, igloos are not where most Canadians live and snow shoes are not a main mode of transportation. In fact, I live in Southern Ontario (which lies farther south than many parts of at least 14 states), in a suburb of Toronto, one of North America’s largest cities. My community is incredibly urban, fast growing, builds houses upon houses and is extremely modern. All that is to say that snow shoeing is not part of the popular culture...but it should be! I love to snow shoe, and thanks to a Christmas gift from my wife, I can do it whenever I can find the time and place. I recently took my show shoes out past where the road ends and into one of the last remaining patches of farm land in my sprawling community (yes those are my tracks in the pictures!). It was an amazing time, and one with spiritual benefits that I had not anticipated. As I got out past the noise and bustle of town, into God’s creation, alone in the quiet, I was able to exercise my heart, mind, soul and body and found I was brought to a place of worship.
In awe of the wonders of creation I found myself considering my creator and longing to join my voice to the chorus of praise:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made... Romans 1:20

The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it; Psalm 24:1
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD from the heavens,
praise him in the heights above.

2 Praise him, all his angels,
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.

3 Praise him, sun and moon,
praise him, all you shining stars.

4 Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.

5 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for he commanded and they were created.

6 He set them in place for ever and ever;
he gave a decree that will never pass away.

7 Praise the LORD from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,

8 lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,

9 you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,

10 wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds,

11 kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,

12 young men and maidens,
old men and children.

13 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.

14 He has raised up for his people a horn,
the praise of all his saints,
of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the LORD. Psalm 148

And in the quiet I found the time and space to consider my creator and my own existence as well:


"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,

4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.

6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:

7 all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,

8 the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth! Psalm 8:3-9

Let me encourage you, that if it has been a while, get out past where the highway ends, venture into the awesome wonder of creation and in the quiet, pause, reflect, consider, be refreshed and renewed and worship.

1 comment:

  1. Jay...when I leave the city and sit my butt on the beach at CL I have this overwhelming appreciation for God's world. I am able to really dig deep and reflect. It's an awesome time. I so wish I was able to experience that every day, well I know I am able... but even the distraction of a barking dog at home can throw me off...yet the same barking dog at the lake side seems so far in the distance. I look at the tracks in the snow that you have made and I remember something my mom wrote to me in a diary when I was young...she said "My darling daugher, life lies before you like a sheet of drifted snow. Be careful how you tred on it, for every mark will show.

    I have many marks in the snow behind me, but I so thank God walks along beside me dusting it off with His grace, love and forgiveness. I am thankful that every step in my journey, even those intended right that often don'[t turn out right, are still brushed clean by Him.

    Your snow shoe marks in the snow reminded of a journey, one that shows evidence of a walk.

    ReplyDelete