Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Curling part II

Another thing about curling that I have noticed in the last few years, is that in the big televised bonspiels (that is what they call a curling tournament), many of the skips (the team captain and main strategist) wear microphones. This allows us the viewer to be privy to the discussions, strategizing and decisions made about every shot and maneuver in the game. I think this is meant to increase the understanding of the television audience and to invite them into some of the interesting aspects of the game that they would otherwise not be able to fully access. As we listen in on the discussions, decision making and strategizing it can help us to more thoroughly understand, appreciate and thus enjoy what we are watching. As one who is involved in planing and leading worship at a church each Sunday morning, I have been reminded about the importance of understanding why we do what we do. As I plan each service, I need to be thoughtful about all that we choose to do, ensuring that I do not do things out of habit or routine, but rather with a sense of worship. No matter what kind of church we attend, traditional or contemporary, formal or casual we probably have some set way of doing what we do whether we call it a liturgy or not. The challenge is whether we understand why we do what we do, and then do we teach and communicate that to those with whom we worship? Do we understand the significance of what we are doing? If not, then what makes it worship and not just routine or habit. I am reminded of the need to ensure I am communicating to our congregation, especially new members, what we are doing and why. I think it can only deepen their understanding and their experience. Like providing a microphone to the team skip, we too can communicate what we do and why, with the goal of educating our congregations and deepening their understanding of worship. I think that if I keep this in mind it will also have the benefit of reminding me of those same facts which can’t help but focus and deepen my understanding of the worship I plan each week as well.

“Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth...” - John 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment