Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Curling


Another great Canadian winter pastime has to be curling. I am sure that there are people out there, who have only seen it on TV, and are wondering why this slow moving, odd game with brooms and all the yelling of “HURRY...WOE, WOE... HURRY is even considered a sport!? If I had only seen it on TV, I too might be inclined to think this way. As it turns out I have some family members who are award winning curlers, and through them have even had the opportunity to try the game out myself. I learned a lot through those few opportunities. I learned that I suck...and through that have learned to appreciate the skill involved by those who play well. I also learned the purpose and goals of the game as well as some of the strategy involved to achieve that purpose. I can honestly say that curling is one of those sports that you need to try yourself, and need to investigate a bit before you truly understand all that is going on. When you begin to understand a bit more, it is all the more interesting. I find myself wondering if that is how many people see Christian worship? From the outside looking in, it could look like a very odd activity indeed. Whether it is dancing or stillness, singing or silence, hands raised or heads bowed, preaching or listening, standing or sitting, it could all look a little odd for someone on the outside looking in. And if you have no understanding of who Jesus is and why people might choose to worship Him, it would seem a strange way to choose to spend your day off! If you find yourself on the outside looking in and wondering what it is all about, let me encourage you to first look into Jesus. Read one of the gospels and try to get an understanding of who he was and why some might be so devoted to Him. Then ask those involved about what they are doing and why, and search the scriptures for an understanding. When you begin to understand some of the purpose, the point and some of of the techniques to achieve those purposes, it may really change your perspective! You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being. - Revelation 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment