Sunday, September 21, 2008

Operation


Perhaps It is because I have recently had the opportunity to hear a surgeon give a detailed description of one of the surgeries they perform, but I have been in awe of the human body. Hearing the surgeon left me amazed in two ways. Firstly, as she shared about the complexity of the human body and mind I could not help but be astounded. I found myself thinking that surely something this amazingly complex, intricate and finely tuned is not the product of random chance, but an intentional and finely crafted masterpiece. If the master crafter is, as I believe He is, this God that we worship then He truly we should be brought to a sense of awe and wonder, worship and praise. Secondly, as I heard the surgeon sharing about surgery, I was astounded by the depth of knowledge, insight and skill that our medical professionals have. The things that they have learned, and the things that they can do are truly astounding. I truly believe that God has guided this process too. All too often we can take our medical system and medical professionals for granted. We are no longer left with a sense of awe when we are healed of what we would consider common conditions. The mere fact that we have common cures and routine treatments is amazing in and of itself! Then there are the complex surgeries to truly amaze us. I hope that we do not take such things for granted. Not only can we be tempted to take it for granted, we can also forget to give thanks where thanks is due. We cannot forget that although God can do miracles, he also lies behind the healing that we experience everyday. We look for miracles, but cannot overlook the providential. God is at work healing people all around us everyday and we must give thanks for that as well. I have been challenged to give God thanks and praise for this amazing organism that is the human body, and for the many ways that he can bring healing whether by miracle, family physician or surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment