Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Monopoly


If there is a board game that has achieved pop culture icon status it is certainly Monopoly! I have to admit that although Monopoly is one of the first games that comes to mind I have been hard pressed to find an analogy to the Christian walk. A game that is based on greed, cut throat business and putting all others into bankruptcy didn't ring any immediate bells or bring to mind any of Jesus' teachings. That changed, however, after hearing my mom describe her last game with my kids. While at the cottage my mom played Monopoly with my children. To my surprise she related just how sympathetic and compassionately my son played the game. i say surprised because he is usually quite competitive and cut throat when he plays me! With his grandmother, however, it was a different story. My mother wasn't having the best game, and quickly found herself falling behind. It wasn't long before she was running out of money and did not have enough to pay the rent on the properties she was landing on. It was then that my son began to give her some of his money (he was having quite a good game) and paying her bills in order that she might stay in the game. It was here that I began to consider how, on a certain level this is what Jesus did for us.
Scripture tells us that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. There is a consequence for that sin, and a price to be paid. Here is what is so amazing...that Jesus, "who, being in very nature God, would not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance of a man, he humbled Himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross" (Philippians 2:6-8). Jesus humbled Himself, giving up the status and privilege of heaven to enter our reality - to enter our game. And while in the game he chose to pay the price and take on the consequences of our sin. In other words he paid our debt in order that we might carry on.
Amazing grace it truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment