Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pop Gun


I have just recently returned from a visit to an old fashioned general store that had a pop gun for sale in the toy section. I remember having one of these as a kid. It was great because every time you shot it off it made a great "pop" sound as the cork was forced from the barrel. The other great thing was that the cork was attached by a string and so it never got lost. It got me thinking about the words we use. How often are we in a frustrating situation and we just pop, letting words exit our lips that we would not ordinarily speak? Or maybe we are joking around and say something in jest that only after we hear it, and see the reaction, do we realize wasn't really funny after all. Our words, however, are not attached by a sting, and unlike the pop gun, once we release them we cannot get them back. How often I wish that I could take things that I say back! A rude comment that offends someone, a sarcastic joke that although meant in jest ends up hurting someone. It is amazing the things that we try to justify by claiming to be "just kidding." If we were to hold those words and comments up to a biblical standard we might hear Paul or Jesus saying "as clever as you think you are, your jokes aren't funny." How may times have I been impressed by my own quick wit? I think however, that I may be the only one that I impress.
Paul, in his letter to the Ephesians offers this challenge: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their need, that it might benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29) It is a tough challenge indeed, but one well worth striving for. I love the fact that it does not just tell us what not to say, but gives us a clear place to re-direct our focus. Speak only that which is useful, that builds up and benefits those around us. If we lived this out then it would not matter that our words have no string and that we cannot get them back. We would not speak out of anger, frustration or with inconsiderate jesting.
I anticipate speaking a lot less than usual over this next week and into the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment