Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Update Tuesday - Its getting chilly!

It is a little after nine in the morning as I write this post and I am on the front porch with a blanket over my legs and in my peripheral vision I see the steam from my coffee cup rising over the screen of my laptop.  On a very cool morning like this morning, the steam is especially noticeable.  In fact, earlier this morning, as I headed out for an early morning appointment, I was struck by the fact that for the first time this year I could see my breath.  Autumn in certainly in the air, and although this might be a short blast of unseasonably cooler weather, it is certainly a prelude of things to come. 

This cooler weather has been a great reminder to me that as winter quickly approaches, we need to begin to get things organized for our winter outreaches.  Over the past few years we have been blessed by donations of hats, mitts, warm socks, winter scarves, winter coats and warm blankets that we have been able to take out to the streets to hand out to the homeless and others unlikely to be able to afford such necessities for their families.  We are, once again, beginning to collect these items in preparations for the winter months.  If you are able to donate any such items then please contact me directly.  Your past support has been so helpful and encouraging, and we look forward to serving many of our neighbours agin this year.

On a similar note, I would ask you to join with me in celebration, as well as continued prayer for one of my friends from the Beer Store Church who is scheduled to move into an apartment October 1.  He has been homeless since I have known him and this is the first time he has secured a permanent residence.  I would ask for your prayers that everything would go smoothly and that this would be a positive step towards him finding more stability.  He has been gathering stuff now and storing it with us, and we have a number of donations in preparation for such a transition to help him get the best start possible.  He still faces many issues and challenges, but I pray that this is a significant step forward.

Lastly, if you are looking for something to do tonight around 10 ET, then my daughter is going to make her television debut as the new ABC drama Lucky 7 makes its premiere.  She plays Emma, the daughter of one of the main characters.  In the Toronto area you can find it on City TV, and you can see it across the states on any ABC affiliate.  You can see a sneak preview here:

Number 7 Preview


No comments:

Post a Comment