Monday, May 6, 2013

Missional Monday-Being Present

"Seeing the crowds, Jesus had compassion..."

These are the words that have captured my attention as of late. These are the words of Jesus in Matthew 9:36 which directly precede His sending out of the disciples. These words have me thinking specifically about being present.

The incarnation is a truly amazing thing, that God would come down, take on human flesh and live among us. This powerful theological idea lies behind these verses. In order for Jesus to see the crowds He had to be present and to be among them. When we read Matthew 8 and 9 in their entirety we see Jesus being up close and present in the lives if many, seeing an engaging in their struggles. Those struggles were physical, emotional and spiritual. All effects of the fall, the people where suffering under the affects of sin in the world with no help to be found. Jesus was thus moved to the point is deep concern. Therefore, looking at the crowds again, He had deep compassion.

I find myself asking how it is that I might live in that manner, truly present. Am I present in the world, in each day and each minute. Am I conscious of all that is going on around me. Do I see the joy and do I see the suffering? Am I moved to compassion? Am I present in each conversation and truly hearing each ones heart as I engage with people throughout the day? Am I truly present.

I find myself reflecting on presence, a presence that leads to compassion. Is this a key to living missionally, to live fully present allowing God to open my eyes and break my heart and lead me to a place of compassionate engagement?

No comments:

Post a Comment