Thursday, May 31, 2012

What is it about painting?

Tonight I took a few hours out of the evening to do some painting.  I have really fallen in love with it as of late.  I have been songwriting for years and love to do that as well.  I still feel passionately about that artistic endeavor.  I don't really know what it is about being creative, or needing to create but there seems to be something in me that feels almost compelled at times to find an outlet.   I come from a creative family full of professional and amateur musicians, painters (both traditional and digital), actors and artisans.  Maybe it is genetic, maybe environmental or probably both.  There is one area that at some point, should I find the time between songs and paintings, I would like to further explore and that is the relationship between faith and the arts.  Having studied music at university I was forced to sit through all the history courses.  I am aware of the intimate relationship between the church and music.  I would like to further explore, however, the idea of being an artist, or being creative and its relation to faith.  There is, of course, "sacred" art that is directly based on biblical themes for example.   There is "worship" music (which I have spent many years writing already) and "sacred" music, again based on biblical themes.  This is not exactly what has peeked my interest, although much of it is wonderful.  What I am hoping to explore is the question of what does it mean to be a creative person, or to be an artist who is Christian.  Better still, what does it mean to have a Christian worldview while creating.  I am wondering if there is something to the idea of creating that is reflective or imitative of God, the Great Creator.  Or is there something prophetic about art as one looks at the world and uses art to draw attention to the reality around us.  Or maybe art that does not mention or portray the cross is just as "worshipful" as it highlights the beauty around us in God's creation. 
There are many possibilities to explore and think through.  Of course, I am not sure how painting old bridges and quirky doors (without a "behold I stand at the door and knock engraving on a gaudy frame)  might relate to all of this but I am interested to find out.   If you know of any great books or resources that I might look into if and when I get some time please let me know, I would appreciate it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment