Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Update Tuesday 29/5/12 - Do Not Worry

We have been going through the Gospel of Matthew with our house fellowship learning about who Jesus is, what He has done for us and what He wants to do in us and through us.  For the past few weeks, we have been making our way slowly through the Sermon on the Mount.  There have been a number of times over these past few weeks where those teachings have really challenged me.  As I think about our group, our life, and living in the city, there has been a lot to think about.  Last week was no exception.  We looked at the passage in which Jesus teaches his disciples not to worry.  It has been a passage on which I have had plenty of opportunity to reflect.  We went through the passage on Tuesday.  On Wednesday I was meeting with my dad in Oakville, who is thinking of starting a bible study this summer in a cottage community just north of the city, where we went through the passage once again.   I then had the opportunity to walk with one of our fellowship members who was facing a number of life situations at once and was more than a little stressed.  I found myself referring back to the passage we had studied the week before.  And once again this morning, I had the chance to sit down with one of my sons who was rather anxious about school.  I found myself, once again referring back to the passage and specifically turned our attention to Jesus' words,  "Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  
As I have shared and turn people's attention back to Jesus' command, and to the amazing promises of provision that go along with it, I sympathize.  I used to have a lot of worry and could become overwhelmed with anxiety.  I have had to learn to focus on today and not worry about tomorrow.  Of course the command is not just to "not worry", but rather to "seek first the kingdom" and the rest will be added unto us.  I have tried, and continue to try, to do this.  There are days where it seems easier than others, days where I seem to do a better job at living it out, but if I were to look at ten or fifteen years ago, I can see a lot of growth.  Today, however, I found myself thinking about the application of this passage from a slightly different angle.  

When planting a church, there are always a number of questions about provision that seem to linger or hover around and about which a planter must be conscious of addressing.  Family finances are pretty tight and finances for the church are tight and the summer tends to increase that fact.  I also know that based on the budget that we did for this year, that we will need some further sources of income or partnerships to sustain our work for the whole year.  There is our growing ministry to the homeless and to do it better we could really use a fridge/freezer to keep our donations in as well as a shed to house some of the other materials.  These all, of course, take further resources that are not there at this point.  All in all, I am not worried.  I have seen and experienced so many examples of God's provision.  I remember back to the first families who came to Oakville to begin the first Sanctuary site.  They came with the understanding that there was a significant partnership to help that church get started only to discover shortly after moving across the country, that the funds were re-allocated.  Well, last September the Sanctuary Oakville celebrated its 10th anniversary! I remember committing to go up to Milton on a volunteer basis to help with a new plant only to have my wife lose her job (and the salary we were intending to live on!) shortly afterwards.  And I remember the crazy idea of starting a new church here in Hamilton, and yet after a year, we are still here and still serving.  In so many different ways and through so many different channels (many of those including you!) God has continued to provide.  Now, however, as a lead planter responsible for giving leadership to this new church I find myself thinking about the fine line between worrying about the finances or trying to make it happen under my own strength, and taking the appropriate responsibility to see that they are addressed.  How much more than just praying about things is appropriate before crossing a line that Jesus has warned us about?  How much less is too little responsibility or even putting God to the test?  Perhaps there is a healthy tension here, one that helps define the road forward, or maybe I am just making more out of it than needs to be made.  I'll keep thinking and praying.
Tonight we venture into Matthew 7, and I am excited to see what Jesus will teach us.  We are expecting a number of familiar people as well as again welcoming a few new faces.  George is cooking so it should be a good night!    

No comments:

Post a Comment