Friday, April 27, 2012

Free Art Friday 27/04/12 - a song for my friend Billy

I started a song a few months back and I thought I would share the lyrics today.
I have a friend named Billy Weir who once played drums for a young up and coming rock n' roll singer named Harold Jenkins who would go on to use the name that you might be more familiar with - Conway Twitty.  Billy played with him up until the point that Harold and the band, the Rockhousers, were developing quite a name and reputation.  With the growing reputation came more travel, and Harold was about to head to - of all places - Hamilton, Ontario Canada.  Harold would actually live at 111 Herkimer St. which is literally just down the street from where I live today.  Billy, however, was still in high school at the time and dropping out of high school was a non negotiable with his parents.  That, unfortunately, brought Billy's time in the Rockhousers to an end.   Billy did, however, have one more chance to play with Harold, who by that time was now Conway and a star.  Billy had by then switched to bass and had the opportunity to fill in as Conway played in Memphis.
It is always hard to capture a whole life and story in a song.  These lyrics don't try.  They do focus on the part about playing with Harold, and finally having one chance to play with Conway.  If some of the details are wrong I am sure Billy can correct me (although I used his book as a reference) but being a songwriter himself I am sure he will give me the grace of artistic licence!


I used to whip the skins in a rock-a-billy band
Cruising in a Mercury across the land
Drove fast and started late
Meeting girls right across the state
Flying back to Hume's for Monday morn.

The postmark it read 111 Herkimer St.
Much to far for a boy of seventeen
Before the Hawk had taken flight
Harold headed for the Northern Lights
A Hammer forging out the star he'd be

Then I played bass
In Conway's band
Pork Chop bass drum, Big Joe's bass in hand
Memphis Tennessee
On November 3
1968 and living out a dream
Coliseum with new boots on my feet

I still live in Memphis, Tennessee
Bide my time 'neath the limbs of a Gumball tree
Waitin' on a Judgement Day
Me and Luke we like to sit and play
Penning tunes of playing in a by gone day

When I played bass
In Conway's band
Pork Chop bass drum, Big Joe's bass in hand
Memphis Tennessee
On November 3
1968 and living out a dream
Coliseum with new boots on my feet


I hope to get a demo of this one recorded at some point in the near future...we will see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment