Monday, March 14, 2011

Perspective

Last week was a pretty tiring week, as we finally got all the last touches done on our house.  We got all the final listing details done in time to have it officially hit the market on Thursday.  Following the listing things proceeded to get a bit crazy.  This is about how things went:

T.J. has an audition for which we get ready to head into Toronto.
Caroline has a bible quizzing practice at a friends, so Kim gets her in the car to head out before getting the car back for me to take T.J. downtown.
Kim also  plans on stopping for a few last supplies as we are hosting our band for our weekly dinner.
The car makes a horrible grinding sound as Kim tries to leave the driveway.
We immediately call our mechanic who advises us not to drive it.
I call my parents to see if they can drive their second car up to Milton so we could borrow it for a few days.
I call a tow truck and book a towing and they estimate a 2 hour wait.
I know I have to leave with T.J. before then, so tell them that my wife will the driver.
They inform me that my name is on the CAA card and so I must meet the driver.
I cancel the towing in order to wait until I get home later.
I cancel band practice for the night.
My parents arrive to drop off the vehicle.
I get T.J. ready to leave.
My parents leave.
The tow truck (that I had cancelled) arrives.
I have to organize with the driver.
He informs me that it will cost $3 a km, since my mechanic is outside the free tow radius.
I have to scramble to find cash and the address to the mechanic.
I rush out of the house with T.J. to the audition.
I rush home with T.J. following the audition in order to pick up the family and vacate the home for our first showing.

The next morning is a bit hectic as well:

The dogs have a groomer appointment in Oakville at 8:30am.
We have to vacate the house for showings.
We get all the kids up and into the car, with all their school books in order to drop off the dogs and then take the kids to their grandparents for the day.
Kim and I book an appointment with our real estate agent in Hamilton to start looking at houses.
We drop the kids off and begin to head for Hamilton.
We get a call from our Milton agent that we have an offer that he needs to present to us.
We get a call from the mechanic that our car is ready to pick up.  
We view the houses in Hamilton and rush back to pick up our car.
We pick up the kids in order to make it back for our appointment in Milton.
We find out that Caroline has a birthday party with a close friend that she forgot to tell us about.
Kim quickly picks up a gift and drops off Caroline on the way home with our car.
I get the dogs from the groomer and head home in my parents car.
We make it in time for our appointment.
Things slow down a bit from there.

It seems a really crazy, head spinning time until we turn on the T.V. and see some of the footage from Japan and it kind of put things into perspective.

At the end of the day all that really happened was that 1) we thought our car broke down but really it was only a very weird, fluky thing where a lot of dirt and grime made it into the brakes and it was only a small cleaning for which we had to pay, and 2) we sold our house for full price in one day.  Those are things to be grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. I got tired just reading your two days! Thankful for the sale of your house...now the journey takes a new road!

    ReplyDelete