Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Time Off

I have missed blogging for the past few days.  Our family actually headed out of town for a Christmas gift we were given, which was a two night stay at Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls.  It is an indoor water park and lodge where we were able to sneak away for a couple of days.  With my regular day off  (Monday) and one added vacation day we were able to squeeze out a mini vacation, which is always a welcome retreat to battle the mid winter January blahs.  We are back at it today feeling refreshed.  The kids had an amazing time on all the rides etc. and hanging out with some friends that also made the trip.  Kim and I had a great time away from the regular routine and watching the kids having so much fun.  I don't mean to suggest that I did not get on any of the rides, quite the contrary, I had my fare share and more.  Kim however, preferred the outdoor hot tub.  
I am reminded of how important time off can be; intentional time away from our regular responsibilities and routines, away from the stresses and rigors of life, to refresh and recharge.  I am reminded that God left such an opportunity for us when he declared that the seventh day was to be one of rest - the Sabbath.  Legalists tend to give it a bad name as evidenced by Jesus' constant challenges throughout the Gospels about what and how it should be kept.  I am reminded however, that rather than do away with it altogether, Jesus declared that it was made for man, and instead focused on reinterpreting how it was to be practiced.  God modeled it for us at the time of creation, included it in the law to be kept by His people and then Jesus taught us about its true purpose.  I think that there is something to it for us, even today, to consider.            

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us share a few of your getaway memories. We all enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete