Friday, December 17, 2010

How Is This For An Evangelism Technique...?

I am still reading through Matthew and today I read chapter 8:14-22 when it struck me, when was the last time you heard this proposed as an evangelism strategy?...

"Give up your house and your security and you can be a follower of Jesus."

Or,

"Give up your family and you too can follow Jesus."

Or what about,

"Give up all your resources and you can follow Jesus."

Then there is,

"If you become a follower of Jesus you too can face beatings and persecution."

Or

"Become a follower and you too can be killed for the privilege."



I have to admit I have not heard those particular phrases in most evangelism programs but, strangely, as I read the gospels I see this technique being used by Jesus. Maybe it is because it is Christmas time when we think and speak a lot about presents and gifts and credit cards, and we hear a lot about family and warm and fuzzy feelings, but these words of Jesus seem to stand in contrast to a lot of what I see, hear and do.
Is it just me or am I missing something?

No comments:

Post a Comment