Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gas Masks and the Gospel


Let me first state that there will be no fart jokes in this post, this is really about the gas mask which I just recently discovered was first invented by a Canadian during World War 1. They say that it may have been the most important protective devise of the First World War. As I find myself thinking about the gas mask I have two reactions simultaneously. Firstly, I am thankful for all the good it has done and the countless lives that it has saved over the decades. Secondly, however, I am horrified that there would be the need for such a thing. What a reminder of what a fallen, sinful world we live in, where there would be a need for a protective devise against toxic gasses and chemicals used by one man against another. At a time when many, even in the church, were ready to celebrate the evolutionary progress of humanity to the exclusion of the gospel, the horrors of the two World Wars shattered that dream and reminds us of the true sinfulness of the world.
I have a similar reaction to other things as well such as ministries to feed the homeless. I am glad they fill such a need yet saddened that there is still such a need. The same goes for hospitals. I am truly grateful for the work of healing that they provide, but again they remind me that we live in a broken world and am truly grieved by the sickness, pain, suffering and death that is all around us.
I guess that in some ways I feel a bit the same about the gospel. The gospel reminds me of the sin in the world, and that in order for it to be dealt with, it meant that Jesus would have to suffer in my place. It is a shame that there was a need for that to take place, but I
am eternally thankful that Jesus would allow himself to be the substitute for me. Of course, the thing that makes the gospel different is the sense of hope that comes with it. Jesus not only died in my place, but He was raised to life again, demonstrating that He has conquered sin and death, foreshadowing that one day I will be resurrected again and that all things will be made new. That is hope, that is promise, and that is worth celebrating.

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Revelation 21:1-5





No comments:

Post a Comment