Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Basketball


I took the boys, along with a friend visiting form North Carolina, over to the basketball court this week and fit in a game between the rain showers. We had a lot of fun. I am amazed at how much my boys love basketball, and a bit concerned seeing as I really stink at the sport. I was hoping for a few more years before my boys started being better at things that I am! Over this last year as my boys have been playing and leaning more I have to admit that I am developing an appreciation for the sport that at one time I would not have hesitated to say I hate. I don't know if it was because I wasn't any good at it, that there was too much running for someone out of shape like me, or the squeaking of the shoes but I really didn't like the sport. That is changing.
Today I find myself thinking about some of the principles behind the sport that maybe I can learn from and apply to the church. Basketball was invented by a Canadian working in the States for the YMCA who was looking for an indoor sport to keep kids in shape over the winter. He developed basketball using balls, peach baskets and the gymnasium. The amazing thing to me is just how simple a concept it is. At the core basketball is still very simple - a ball and two baskets. It means that many people can understand a play. It also means that it is easier to set up and to fund than many other sports which makes it accesable to many. I think that because it is so simple it is also flexible. It was invented to be played indoors over the winter, and yet it is also played outdoors just as easily and just as well. The simplicity and the flexibility make it so that it can be contextual and adapt to the needs of the environment. The game itself, and the rules don't change, but it can be played in many different environments from indoor gym, to urban courtyard, from affluent sports complexes, to inner city parks and all the suburban driveways in bewteen.
I think that these might be good lessons for the church - to keep it simple, flexible, accesable and contextual.

They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Acts 2:42

No comments:

Post a Comment