Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Of Subways and Sub Zeros

I currently sit in a train car returning to Hamilton from The Big Smoke, Toronto, and it has dawned on me that last month I was riding subways in both Los Angeles and New Tork City.  They were quick, short trips to help family members, but none the less that is still pretty cool!  

As we enter March, I am back here in Canada and we are experiencing one of the coldest weeks on record.  Isn't spring coming?!?  Sitting on the train this morning I realize that although this year is the coldest I can remember, for the last three years the beginning of March has greeted  us with its own kind of coldness. Two years ago my Grandmother passed away and the very next day my oldest son ended up in hospital.  The following year my son was missing when March arrived, and this year we enter March with my father in hospital.  March has been particularily dark these past few years.  Even so, there are still great moments of light and joy and it is especially important in times like these to mark them. 

My dad came through what was a very large, intrusive and challenging surgery with flying colours.  Although the recovery will be trying and lengthy, he has done amazingly well thus far and shows every indication that he should make a full return to health.  

Our Fellowship @ Locke has welcomed a few new people and I am enjoying meeting with a number of them for further discipleship.  We are currently leading the Fellowship through an annual look at our vision verse and refocusing on (or learning for the first time), our core principles.

I am also excited for our Fellowship @ Fifty in Stoney Creek as I have been working with a key leader to develop and introduce a more intentional mission strategy.  I am looking forward to Michael leading our group through the initial stages this week.  

So March has been a bit of a let down these past few years.  This year in particular it is uncomfortably freezing.  None the less, there are bright spots and moments to celebrate.  Perhaps spring is on the way, maybe just around the corner at the next subway stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment