Monday, April 29, 2013

Missional Monday - Rhythm to Dance

I am not much of a dancer but I spent many years as a drummer and I play a whole lot of rhythm guitar these days. One of my favourite things is to play in 3, or a waltz. Whether an old country ballad, an uptempo jazz waltz, or the many things in between, I just love it. (And if you think a waltz sounds kind of girly or sissy just go search My Favourite Things by John Coltrain on YouTube, it will change your mind).

I recently heard Mike Breen share about rhythm in a missional context. He shared about the rhythm of Up, In and Out. I, of course, heard the three beat of a good waltz, felt the rhythm driving a wonderful dance and my attention was captured.

When you look at your life, or the life of your church do you feel that waltz pattern driving the dance. Can you feel the Up- the relationship with Jesus, the In-the community of other believers and the Out- going to the community around you?

If you have followed this blog, or our ministry in Hamilton then you will have heard me share John 13:34-35, which are key verses for how we understand what we do. Jesus gives the command that as He loved us we must love one another. Imitation of Jesus requires we know Him- the Up. The One another is community -the In. Jesus goes on to say that all men might know we are disciples by our love for one another. Jesus is very concerned that we impact the community around us -the Out.

You might not be a dancer (I am certainly not), and you might not be a drummer but all of us are called as Christ followers to this rhythm. Is your life a waltz?

1 comment:

  1. A friend of ours by the name of Michael Hampton told us about your song called "Come" based on Matt 11:28. My daughter would like to learn the chords on guitar so she can play it for our home church. Would you mind sharing them with us? She is a beginner guitarist, but willing to learn. You could email it to Michael Hampton and he will forward it to us. Thank you so much!

    Thank you,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete