Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Social Darwinism and Racism in Canada

The notion of evolution with regards to biology can be a sticky enough topic (especially with regards to Christianity).    Timothy Keller points out in his book The Reason For God, that the theory of evolution is more problematic when taken as an all encompassing world-view used to explain the reality of all things.  I admit I have a lot of trouble when evolution moves past a biological discussion to explain the realities of art for example.  I have been thinking about this again after reading an interesting line in the book Nation Maker, Sir John A. MacDonald: His Life, Our Times by Richard Gwyn.  In this award winning biography of Canada's first Prime Minister, Gwyn makes the following statement describing the culture and climate of Canada in the Victorian era:

This creed, now known as social Darwinism, gave credibility to racism, and in Canada it fed the notion that Aboriginals were savages.  
(pg 32)

I could say a lot more about racism, Canada's storied history with regards to First Nations (including the church with residential schools etc).  For now I will just say that I found this commentary by Gwyn, albeit one line,  to be striking, and very thought provoking.  I would love to hear what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment