Thursday, September 13, 2012

Religious Liberty in Ontario

I recently read an article in the Huffington Post entitled How To Know If Your Religious Liberty Is Being Threatened In Just 10 Quick Questions.  It was clever and interesting, and I found myself with a smirk on my face saying, "OK, I get your point (as well as your not so subtle and less clever insertions of some obvious bias and agenda)."  Touche on your jovial jab.  But as the week went on, I found myself thinking about this more seriously with respect to the province of Ontario in which I live.  In particular,  I have been thinking about three stories in the news over that past few months.

Firstly, there is the story of the Ontario Government's introduction of anti-bullying legislation.  A few interesting facts - the legislation, among other things, is worded so that students are no longer protected from bullying because of their faith but are protected against bullying by faith groups.  There is also the suggestion that all groups who would use the public facilities of a school must adhere to all the ideas within the legislation, including all GLBT portions of the bill. 

Secondly, is a story from right here in Hamilton, in which a man is having to go to court in order to have the school provide him information and advanced notice about subjects in the curriculum that might be contrary to his faith system so he might make a decision about what he thinks best for his children.  You can read the story here:  CBC.  I am most interested in the fact that he did not ask for changes for everyone, but rather just information so that he might make a decision for his children.  In a province where many school boards are offering Muslim Prayer rooms for students in public school facilities, this request just does not seem like an unreasonable accommodation.

Lastly, is a story that I mentioned in Tuesday's update regarding the Toronto District School Board declaring that faith groups will no longer receive the charity rental rate, and that rates would be astronomically increased.  This story has made it to the mains stream media:  National Post.  

So what to make of all these stories?  I will leave that up to you to make a decision and pronouncement.  Thinking back to the quiz, however, makes we wonder if maybe there might be something here to worry about.  My response, however, is to continue to do what we have been doing.  Sharing Jesus, loving, teaching and planting churches in my community.  


No comments:

Post a Comment