Monday, June 11, 2012

Missional Monday - the crowds

So I thought that I might start taking Mondays and sharing a thought or question about something missional.  As a church planter, I am often thinking about or looking at things from this angle so getting some help from you might be a great idea.  Here are two thoughts from this past week I have been wrestling with:

1)  I must start with exposing my bias.  When it comes to evangelism and sharing of the faith I am big on relational.  In my experience, people tend to listen to those they trust, people are far more likely to attend "church" when invited by a friend, they are more likely to stick with relationship and I think discipleship works deepest in a relational environment of encouragement and accountability.  Having said that it was John Worcester who recently shared with me the observation that large scale group evangelism seems out of fashion these days, and yet, it seems to always have been a part of the mix in the New Testament.  I have to admit that as I think about Jesus, the Gospels, and Acts this certainly seems to be the case.  It is not the only way (think of the woman at the well - it started with a one on one encounter, Philip and the Ethiopian Eunic and many other examples) but it certainly is a part of the mix.  Whether Jesus, his first disciples, Philip in Samaria (a different context) and Paul to the Gentiles there are always examples of preaching to the crowds.  I am thinking about if and how this might be applied to my context.

2)  If the previous insight is true and is meant to be a principle applied to all missional work, how then does one assemble such crowds.  Here, is an insight that I have been wrestling with.  I have heard of, participated in and lead many events that were meant to engage a crowd.  Whether it was to share with them, or to build relationships upon which to follow up, these events usually took the form of an event planned to draw a crowd to then serve and share.  The pattern, however, that I have seen in scripture is that the preaching and healing are what draw the crowd after which further engagement might happen.  I have started to ask myself if I have been doing things backwards.   In other words, rather than draw a crowd to preach and heal, should we be preaching and healing to draw the crowd.  I am wrestling with this observation and wondering about its application.   

These are a few thoughts, observations and questions I leave you with this morning.

3 comments:

  1. I personally like your first view, in previous years, large gatherings, such as Biily Graham, were events that were culturally accepted and looked upon as a family outing. It was a different time socially like Biblical events and their social makeup. I don't disagree with large scale meetings where crowds can come but, like the feeding off the 5000, the people followed because Jesus became a meal ticket. I agree very strongly on the relational side where people get to know you and see the truth worked out in the family, work, friends, strangers and in the church. Then people can see the fruit of the Spirit lived out as we love one another. Then when we invite people to the church there is that relational element already laid and discipleship has already begun. This also includes everyone to be in the priest hood of believers ministering the gifts off the spirit to the benefit of all. I wouldn't try to split hairs over your two thoughts. I think they are both mutual depending on the circumstances one finds themselves in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason,

    I think both methods can work and might serve a different purpose. I think back to the event "Taste of the World"... it was a great event the drew in a lot of people. Yes, many people came only for the great food but I am certain they remembered the church associated with the event and had wonderful things to say about the organizers. Perhaps they may have mentioned the church in passing... word of mouth can go a long way.

    I think that it is easier to have people "join" a church or group, when there is trust and friendship. I think this is a great approach when people's hearts are open and ready to listen.

    I don't think you need to worry... I believe that you and Kim are doing a great job! It just takes time...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts!
    RVR, I do tend to lean towards the relational methods myself. I am aware, however, that sharing still needs to be a very intentional aspect and that I don't just use "relational" as an excuse not to share (but maybe that is just my challenge). You did highlight something important ans that is context. Are there things about my current context that make a large group thing less effective? Or, on the flip side, are there things about how we did large group evangelism (eg. Billy Graham style crusades) that need to be changed and contextualized, but the principle itself still stands. These are thoughts I am still wrestling with. And to your point about the feeding of the 5000, I am interested in the fact that the feeding did not happen until much later but that a group assembled around Jesus and his response was to spend time teaching them! Teaching then healing. Still thinking through that too.
    Julie thanks for sharing, and I too enjoyed some of those Taste the Worlds. There is something to the trust and friendship, however, that has borne itself out in my experiences. I also appreciate the kind words, we are trying over here!
    One last thought, especially regarding this place here in Ontario...what does would large scale evangelism have to look like where there is so much diversity? Can it work when there is so many different types of people, language, religion, culture, socio-economic position, philosophy etc.
    Still wrestling!

    ReplyDelete