Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Update Tuesday 3/01/12 - Happy New Years

I am not really one for resolutions, but there is something about the beginning of a new year.  The flipping of the calendar to a fresh, blank page (or screen as is most likely the case these days) and beginning at 1/1 again does lend itself to thinking of new beginnings and possibilities.   2011 was quite the year for my family, full of ups and downs and new beginnings.  We saw God do some amazing things and felt the support of so many who came around us in so many ways to see The Hamilton Fellowships get off the ground.  We look expectantly to 2012 wondering and dreaming about what God may do this year.  My heart's desire is to see lives changed by Christ this year, but today I find myself taking one step back from that and looking first at myself.
Before I ask for the privilege of sharing Christ with others and walking with them on a spiritual journey this year it behooves me to first begin with a commitment of my own.  I am praying that over the course of 2012 I continue to be molded more and more into the image of Jesus.  I am praying that I continue to grow in love, knowledge and imitation of Christ, thanking God for his amazing grace as I walk, and often fumble my way through this journey of faith.  I am praying that I grow in sensitivity and obedience to the Spirit in my life, guiding, leading, teaching and empowering me to live the life to which God calls me.  I am also praying that I grow in sensitivity and obedience to the Word.
With regards to the Word, I first heard my wife speak about looking for a year long bible reading plan a few weeks before the end of the year.  Although I have been endeavoring to be in the Word daily, it has been a few years since I have followed such a plan and so I suggested that we could do one together.  Since that time, a number of our fellowship have committed to following a common plan that will see us read through the bible in a year.  We chose a plan that we found at The One Year Bible Online (which can be found here: One Year Bible  - we opted for the one year as opposed to the one year chronological) for a number of reasons including it was easily accessible so that any one could find it and use it and that it happens to be available on my YouVersion IPhone App.   We are praying that God would speak to us powerfully as we commit to reading the whole of His Word, and that we  see amazing growth in our own lives as we try to share Christ with others.
 So those are some of my thoughts beginning this new year.  Our service to the homeless continues and is growing quickly, we are meeting people and expect to see our fellowships grow and I believe we are beginning to build a good reputation in the city.  But underlying all of this must be our continued growth in Christ including a commitment to the Word.  If you have been thinking about your commitment to the Word and would like to read along then I invite you to join us.  We thank you again for all your continued support of our family and of The Hamilton Fellowships.  We are looking forward with anticipation to all that God has in store for this year!  Thank you for walking this journey with us! 

Our next outreach to the homeless is scheduled for Jan. 15th and we are collecting new and gently used hats and gloves to hand out with meals.  If you are interested in joining us or have hats and mitts to contribute then send me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment