Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Update Tuesday 24/01/12

"I'll tell you one thing that has made a difference...reading the bible."
It came almost out of nowhere, standing in the rain and at then end of a brief conversation.  There was not much opportunity to follow up although we did chat for a few more seconds about what he had said.  What it was, however, was an open door, the beginning of a spiritual conversation that I hope to be able to follow up on in the days and weeks to come.
As I was thinking about what I might be able to share this morning as I sat down to write this weekly update, this conversation, as well as a number of others came to mind.  I have had a number of what you might call "spiritual" converstations.  They have happened in the neighbourhood, at the Beer Store, in my home and even over Face Book.  I don't want to give the impression that they happen everyday or that they happen right away with people I meet.  Many have taken weeks and months to get to a place where there is the slightest interest in something spiritual,  but they have begun to happen.  And that is really what we have been praying for, opportunities to invite people and walk with them as they consider Jesus and have the chance to make a well informed decision for themselves.  I am thankful this week for these opportunites, and I would ask that you pray that there would be opportunities for follow up.  And if one of these exchanges happens to have been with you, thank you for the opportunity and the privilege of sharing a bit of my passion with you!
By way of an update, I mentioned last week that a friend of mine that I met at the Beer Store (where he recycles empties that he finds on the street for money) was grieving the loss of his father.  I had the privilege of meeting with him, listening and sharing a little in his time of need and was able to help him arrange the details of getting up north where the funeral would be held.  He is on a bus as I write, and we have an appointment for when he returns. 
Thanks again for all the prayer and support.   It is a privilege to have you walk this journey with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment