Thursday, December 22, 2011

Karaoke at Costco?!?!?

I hate Karaoke.  There, I said it.  Please don't be insulted if you like Karaoke, it is just my personal, subjective feeling on the matter but I need to be clear about my biases up front.  In fact, when it come to Karaoke the only thing that is worse than really bad singers is pretty good singers who take it seriously.  In this situation, I find myself so overwhelmingly uncomfortable that I just don't know what to do.  Do I make eye contact?  Do I need to compliment  like I would compliment any good cheese?  I usually do my best to find the quickest way out of the moment.  On occasion the best way out of the moment has been to sing, leading to a few infamous Karaoke moments that are better left unmentioned (but they were pretty funny!)  No matter what your feelings about Karaoke might be, I hope that we can all agree that the scene my wife shared with me yesterday is just wrong.
Kimberley came home frazzled and tense.  Last minute shopping as we prepare to host Christmas dinner had left her completely spent.  This would be understandable on any given day as one tries to shop the week before Christmas.  It is especially true at Costco, as the huge warehouse is jammed with shoppers looking for everything from cranberries to car tires.  It was a zoo to be sure.  But this zoo was to be expected, so what made it so particularly scarring?  Karaoke.  Yes, Karaoke in Costco!  A huge, video Karaoke machine being demonstrated right in the middle of the store where ordinarily one might be sampling samosas.  Not only was it there, in the middle of the store, but it was loud...so loud it filled the entire warehouse with its obnoxious noise pollution.  Let's be honest, if you are at Costco a few days before Christmas, things are already not good.  You have to be a sadomasochist to want to be there any time within this last week.  Chances are if you are there you are already behind in your preparations, or worse, you thought you were done when all of a sudden in dawned on you that there was one, integral thing that you had forgotten.  All in all, it is a recipe for that Yuletide stress that could give even Gumbi a tension migraine.  In this scenario, how could anyone think that an overzealous Italian man screaming out a rendition of "My Way" would be a good thing?  It would not, and is not a good thing.  It is just asking for a tragic incident of shopper rage. 
No matter what your personal opinion about Karaoke might be, if you stop, close your eyes and try to imagine yourself in that Costco scene, I am sure that you will agree that in no possible way would it  be pleasant.  Karaoke at Costco is just wrong.  

1 comment:

  1. The Lord will destroy Babylon.He will silence the loud noise coming from it.

    (replace Babylon with Costco)

    ReplyDelete