Friday, December 23, 2011

Free Art Friday 23/12/11

I don't often post the work of other people here, especially just a link to the work of established artists but today I make an exception.  My friend Steve Davis, who plays with me in Before the Flood, brought this song out for our annual Christmas show and it has been stuck in my head ever since that first practice.  It has become my favourite Christmas song this year, maybe of all time.  It is quite amazing to find a non-traditional Christmas song, by a secular band, that actually has the Christmas story and isn't just cheesey.  This is a great song by one of my favourite bands of all time, pioneers of Americana music (amazing when you consider all but one were Canadian) and written by the guy who wrote such classic southern anthems as The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (again a Canadian - dear America, You are welcome.  Signed, Canada)...

Christmas Must Be Tonight by The Band

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have a low tolerance for Christmas music - ("All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey makes me want to shove a pencil in my ears), but I enjoyed that. Unique, no campy pop-music melody or "my record company made me do a Christmas album" sound. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete