Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Update Tuesday 25/10/11

I was sitting at a table at the Locke Street Bakery with a cup of coffee and my prayer journal stretched out before me.  I had been praying for my family, my church and people in my life when my thoughts turned to an idea my wife had shared with me a number of days before.  Each Sunday evening we hear the sound of people going through our recycling bins before collection day on Monday as they search for cans and bottles that can be returned to stores for deposits.  Last week she realized that a number of homeless men all line up at a store in our neighbourhood each Monday waiting for opening time so they can return the cans and bottles for money.  My wife and I had been discussing the possibility of taking coffee to this group on a Monday morning and connecting with them as they wait.  So, sitting in the coffee shop and praying, my thoughts turned to this idea and putting pen to paper I committed this idea to prayer.  I simply wrote "Also praying about an opportunity at the store..." and as I looked up from the page a guy with a shopping cart full of cans and bottles stopped right in front of the store window beside me to pet a dog before making the rest of the walk to the store.  It was an affirming moment and so next Monday morning I intend to be outside of that particular store in my community with coffee for this group of guys that gathers each week.
Next Monday promises to be a busy day.  It is also the day that we will be holding our first Shine Your Light event here in the Hammer.  We will be capitalizing on this day when the whole neighbourhood comes to your door by throwing a bit of a party on the front porch with live music, popcorn and candy floss, handouts for the kids, hot chocolate for the parents as well as collecting non-perishable food donations for a local food bank.  Fliers will be going out this week, friends from our sending church in Milton will be coming by to help (and really just have fun!) and we can't wait to see who will stop by!  We would ask you to be in prayer for all the opportunities that Monday may provide.  
Of course, as outreach seems to be the theme of this week's update I should also mention our on going outreach to McMaster Children's Hospital, and in particular the Ronald McDonald Room that is found there.  We have continued to bring a meal there each week as we seek to reach out to and support the families of those with sick children.  I was reminded of the importance of continuing to develop opportunities there as, again while at the coffee shop on Monday, I met one of the nurses that was in the pediatric intensive care unit both times that our son Liam came through in November of 2008.  Again, it was a bit of an affirmation and a reminder not to forget the things that God has done for us, as we remember back to Liam's brain tumour and surgeries, as well as to look for what God wants to do in and through us as we move forward.
Lastly, I would ask for your prayers for a man named Joe.  I met Joe on Sunday morning when my family and I ventured out to Oakville to help another young church plant in our network with an outreach event.  The Sanctuary @ Kerr Village was hosting a pancake breakfast before their Sunday service.  Joe wandered in just before the service was to begin and so I decided to stay back and sit with him as the service started.  I am glad that I did.  I had a great conversation with him as I heard about some of his spiritual beliefs, shared some of mine, I was able to tell my story and was also able to share the story about Jesus.  One of my favourite moments was as he was sharing about the influence on his life that the teaching of the Buddha has had.  I was able to ask him about a story called the Golden Boat that is apparently a teaching of the Buddha (if you don't know it go and look it up...I won't ruin the surprise!).  The amazing thing is that someone had just shared the story with me that very week!  It was a providential conversation.  Please join me in praying that Joe might find a spiritual community with my friends at The Sanctuary @ Kerr Village where he can continue pursuing these spiritual conversations and searching.     
Once again thanks you for all the support and prayer.  We continue to see fruit from the prayers that you offer on our behalf. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jason for this message. Our family has been thinking of providing sandwiches to the homeless of Hamilton. Something that has been placed on our minds and our hearts a few weeks back... Something in giving ourselves away and at the same time showing Madisson how some people live day in and day out without a home, bed, or even blanket. We would love to talk to you about this.

    ReplyDelete