Friday, September 23, 2011

Free Art Friday 23/09/11

As I mentioned last week, I had my first painting lesson ever while working on the last sketch I posted.  It was an impromptu kind of thing while at the beach at my parent's cottage.  There happened to be an amazing artist visiting next door and so I got up enough courage to impose myself upon him by asking for some pointers.  He was kind enough to walk with me through the different stages, explaining some basic concepts, giving me some pointers and guiding all the steps.  I thought it might be an interesting opportunity this week to introduce you to some of his work.
Mark Fordham has had a pretty amazing career in the art world here in Canada (as well as New York and other places).   It has included the fine art world through painting and sculpture, while the past ten or so years has marked an interesting turn in his career as he has spent a lot of time in the visual effects world doing film and television work.  He has used his incredible knowledge of anatomy and sculpture in the creating of animals, creatures and monsters for film and TV.  His primary focus most recently has been matte painting creating incredible backdrops to transport viewers to times and places from Jerusalem at the birth of Christ, Nuremberg post WWII, Hockey arenas in the career of Don Cherry to England under King Henry the VIII and everywhere in between. 
Below are some links to some online galleries of his work.  The first has examples of paintings and sculptures while the second has examples of his matte painting.  Check out some of the fuller biographies as well.

fine art

matte painting


I should probably also mention that he is my uncle.  I am not nearly confident or brash enough to go up to someone I don't know and weasel an art lesson! 

Don't forget to check back next week when I should have the second installment in my "Inukshuk on Georgian Bay" series.  I have also been experimenting with some lyrics that incorporate some of the tings that I have been learning and working with about colour...so we will see what transpires on that front.  

No comments:

Post a Comment