Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Listening and Let it Be

I recently has a unique listening experience with my son Liam. We were working on a music project together and trying to pick out a song to use as a demo. We were considering using Let it Be by the Beatles and so we were listening together. As is usual, I was a bit carried away and so was working right up to the time we were supposed to be leaving for dinner at a friends. Just as we were about to head out the door Liam says "you know what my favourite part of the song is, the part where the guy says 'stop talking'." I told him that there was no such part and asked him what he was talking about. He told us that he could definitely hear someone say something. We looked at him like he was crazy, but to give him the benefit of the doubt ( while still thinking he was crazy) I told him to quickly go and grab his iPod. We hooked it up in the car and while we were driving to our friends for dinner we were blaring Let it Be. The first verse and chorus went by and I was still arguing that there was nothing and that he was hearing things...and then the second verse came. Sure enough, in the second verse, under the lyric "parted" there is a voice picked up by one of the mics which says something. I can't hear it clearly enough to say what the voice actually says although the phrasing could certainly fit "stop talking".
It got me thinking about listening. I was amazed at what Liam was able to detect (and a bit freaked out about how loud he must have been listening to his music!) in a song I have heard many times before but never noticed. As a musician there are so many ways in which listening, hearing differently from others, and paying closer attention to sounds is important. What I have been thinking about, however, is listening in general, the kind of listening that we can all aim to do when it comes to listening to each other.
When it comes to relationships and personal interactions I think there is a lot more listening that we can be aiming to do. I know that if I were to listen as much as I am tempted to talk I could probably learn a lot more, understand much more clearly and better respond to people. There is a passage in James that teaches that "everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry (James 1:19) There is much wisdom in this statement. How many misunderstandings could be avoided, how many conflicts averted if we were to listen more closely? When it comes to listening to others we can listen to the words they speak as well as how they speak them, so that we might begin to hear their heart. What might it be like if we were to take our listening to a whole new level? What might our churches be like, our communities and our families if we aimed to really listen to one another?
I still have not been able to find out about what was said in that second verse of Let it Be so if you happen to know, or come across something let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment! i will be sure to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete