Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Irony of Inclusivism


I rarely use this blog for political purposes and I hope that this post is not overly political, but I just saw some footage of the Premier of Ontario and there is a response to some of his comments that I could not help but post.
As a bit of background, there is controversy in Ontario about some new health/sex-ed curriculum scheduled to be introduced next school year. This curriculum would include bringing this education to children as young as grade three including such controversial topics as gender identity. Surely teaching about gender identity to such a young audience is going to be a controversial subject and I don't think that I am incorrect in stating that it would be more than just faith based groups that may have serious and legitimate concerns. It was while taking questions regarding this subject that Premier Dalton McGuinty made the comments to which I would like to respond.
Now, right off the bat I should disclose my bias and be open about the fact that we have chosen a home based education for our children. We have been educating our children from home for a number of years now. It was not actually primarily a faith based decision to do so originally as we withdrew our children from public education for a number of other reasons including a major health crisis for one of our boys. I have to admit, however, that one of the things we have appreciated the most about a home based education are the opportunities that it has provided in the sphere of faith. With that aside, I return to the Premier's comment that has so captured my attention.
In responding to questions about the controversy, the Premier made the comment that if any parent is uncomfortable with what is being covered by the curriculum then they have the right to withdraw their child from such classes. My response to that comment is this, if the only option available to respect an individuals rights and freedoms, be they religious or otherwise, is to have them not participate then that is not inclusive. If the only way to meet someones needs is to tell them not to come, to not include them, then that is not inclusive! And here is the irony, this curriculum is being introduced, in part, to be inclusive. The only response, however, as to how to accommodate the diverse beliefs and needs of our community is to be exclusive. There is an inherent paradox to inclusivism that is politically incorrect to bring up, but that is a reality none the less. If we are not honest about it, it will only lead to serious problems in practically applying our philosophy. The paradox is that inclusivism would tell us that we are all entitled to our own thoughts, philosophies, lifestyles etc. but what happens if I disagree with that concept? Someone might have to disagree with me because our ideas are directly contradictory but at the same time agree with me because every person's ideas are valid...and there is the paradox. So practically speaking what are we to do when when worldviews conflict? If we are being totally inclusive, how can one person ever say to another that your idea is wrong? How do we choose what side to represent in a public school curriculum? I think that the realization that I am coming to is that based on our current understanding of inclusiveness, we can't. At some point this is going to blow up in our face. We are aiming for an impossible ideal that will only frustrate us the more we try to achieve this thing that we will never be able to achieve. I don't mean to be pessimistic. I don't think all hope is lost. I do think that there needs to be some honest reflection about what we are aiming for however, and a realistic look at what it means for so many different ideas, thoughts and philosophies to co-exist.
As I stated before, I have chosen a home based education for my children. I have already withdrawn them from the public education system. If my child were in the public system and this curriculum were introduced I would seriously consider withdrawing them from the times that it was taught. What I would not do, however, is turn around and say that this was being inclusive. It is exclusive, period. What it is is a direct example of how we are seeing more evidence that religion is being discriminated against. I know that at one time Christianity was seen to be the dominant culture in Ontario. The reality, however, is that the pendulum has swung, and this big monster called Christianity that so many people today seem to be trying to slay is by far the minority. Many of its beliefs are slowly and subtly being undermined and challenged. The reality, no matter how subtle and incremental it may be, is that there is increasing discrimination against those who follow the teachings of Jesus. Please don't misunderstand, I am not complaining. I am certainly not saying I expect everyone to believe the way I do. I would love to share with them what I do think and why I think that way but I don't expect everyone to agree. Nor do I want to force people to live as if they did. But what I am asking is that we are just honest about the fact that there is increasing discrimination against Christianity. Let's just call it for what it is please.

3 comments:

  1. Premier Dalton McGuinty said it's obvious from listening to parents over the past two days that the curriculum needs a "serious rethink.''

    http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/47671--ontario-postpones-fall-launch-of-controversial-sex-ed-curriculum-will-rethink-it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I admit to reading this weeks blog and realizing that I had been thinking so long about last week's that I hadn't even gotten to commenting on it! So Jay, I promise to get outside today (no excuse now that I live in the tropics) but I also wanted to offer thoughts on this last topic. You brought up two things that I have thought about/think about a fair bit as they relate to mission. The first is the whole notion of sex education and who should be doing it. My experience is that as a church, our main project is to make sure teens/young adults don't do it until they are married and that is often the unfortunate sum total of our teaching. At best, I have heard of some good pre-marital teaching that is restricted to marriage preparation type things. This is where we as the church have perhaps left too much to tv, school and peers. I don't support the new curriculum, but what I hear is a challenge for Christians to take the task of talking about sexuality and sex seriously. Should we be including it in some way in our children's ministry curriculums? Or should we have programmes offered where parents can attend with their kids to talk in a Christian context about these things, at different stages of development? Do we, as ministers/pastors accept responsibility to equip parents to talk about it from a Christian perspective? There is cause for concern when the government decides to educate our kids about sexuality and we are worried about what they will hear, because it means they haven't heard from us (as parents, Christian adults) first to be equipped to offer a truthful and gracefilled response. Yes, a tall order for a third grader, but if my 5 year old can talk about having a relationship with Jesus to his friends mom in an innocent, gentle and honest way, maybe our 8 yr olds can step up to the plate on this one--if we equp them well.

    My other thought was on inclusivism. I too have struggled at length with what 'some' call inclusive, as it leaves me out. For me it has happened as much inside the church as out. Sometimes because my views have been too conservative, sometimes it has been because I'm female. I would love to see us hold to an ideal of inclusivism that says, 'you are all invited' but that doesn't necessarily affirm all ideologies. I've always found distinguishing between pluralism and iclusivism useful in identifying my task. I am not a pluralist. I think pluralism has some conflicting tenants, and is a lot more about ideologies than people. Pluralism says that all ideas are equally valid. I don't think this is the case. But I do believe that all people have the right to belong, and then I accept the ongoing, tough slogging, project of what that looks like and what we should do to love people like Jesus loved them: in a way where they can't question our love for them, but then that we all continue to be called to 'go and sin no more'. In that I acknoweledge I need that challenge as much as 'they' do and try to be honest that I am suggesting we all need Jesus.

    Anyway, those are my thoughts on sex, inclusivism and pluralism in a tiny little nutshell. Now, off to the park!

    Jay, I deeply appreciated your weekly thoughts and highly respect your willingness to engage so much! Thanks for keeping my on my toes!
    In Christ, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for you thoughts. I appreciate the comments and as usual there is some real food for thought. I particularly like the reminder that if we are going to be discussing the who, what, where and when we do not want when it comes to our children's education and development we surely better also be discussion the flip side of how we do plan to engage our children.

    ReplyDelete