Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ontario Sweet Corn


I was at camp a few weeks ago when, to my surprise, fresh Ontario sweet corn made its way onto the dinner table. The kitchen staff had gone to a local farm that afternoon and purchased the fresh picked corn to add to the menu that evening. I think that it must have been the best, the biggest and the sweetest corn I have ever tasted. It was actually a highlight of my day (which is saying a lot because there is so much to love about each day at camp!). I think perhaps part of why it stood out as being such a spectacular culinary experience is that I had tried some corn the week before which paled in comparison. It was from a big box grocery store which had a sale on corn. I knew that it was a little early in the season, that there was no guarantee that it was local, and that even though it was early in the season the corn had probably been picked even earlier in the season in order to get onto a truck and make it to the stores. It was a disappointing experience to say the least.
Looking back, I knew that the corn from the big box store was not that great and that it may be a big let down, but I could not wait. I tried to rush the process. I was impatient. There is a reason that patience is amoung the Fruit of the Spirit - (from memory now, so comment below if I miss something) Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Faithfulness and Self- Control. I know that bland corn is hardly the end of the world but I do wonder about other things in which we show impatience. In a time and culture that is faster and faster, busier and busier, in which we seem to want what we want, when we want it, seem adept at making it happen but so easily frustrated when we can't, I wonder what we might be missing. What experiences and realities might we be missing? What experiences might be richer? What of God and God's heart are we missing? What could God provide or teach us if we were to be a little more patient? These are just a few questions I am trying to make time to think about since my amazing corn experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment