Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Blue Box and Green Bin


We had some guests staying with us for a number of weeks to help our church with ministry projects within our community. One of the funny things that we witnessed was their attempt to figure out where each item of trash was supposed to go. Where they are from, everything just goes into the trash but here in Halton, where I live, things are a bit more complicated. We have trash cans for garbage, blue boxes for recyclable materials (plastic, paper etc.) and a green box for compostable material. It has taken a while, but we are finally (somewhat) trained to recognize what goes where, identifying what can be recycled or composted. Watching my guests reminded me, however, that it does take some getting used to, and to have it all thrown at you at one time can be a bit overwhelming! I have to admit that despite the odd frustration and rant I don't mind doing it. I actually appreciate the effort to make a difference for the sake of the environment. No, it is not perfect...it can be frustrating...mistakes are made...and it is not the be all and end all of social responsibility, but it is a start. It is making an effort and, for myself, I see spiritual implications and that it can be a part of my Christian walk.
This week I was reading Romans 8, and came across verses 19-21:
19The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

I was reminded that God has a plan for all of creation and not just human souls. Sometimes I think Christians get so focused on the "getting to heaven when we die" part (which I do believe by the way) that we forget that God's plan actually has another step after that...when all of creation will be freed form the effects of the fall and will be liberated and redeemed. Revelation 21 tells us of a new heaven and a new earth. Christianity should not be escapist and eternal life is not just being rescued off of this ruined rock we call the world. I don't claim to fully understand it the new heaven and earth, what it will look like or how much continuity or discontinuity there will be with what exists now. I do know, however, that God does have a plan and that God does care for all of his creation. I am reminded that God had plan in the beginning and declared that all that He had made was "very good." (Genesis 1:31). Yes, it has been affected by the fall, but God has a plan for its redemption. So, what does that mean for us who live here and now and claim to represent God's heart? I think that it means that we should care as well. Perhaps that was intended when God gave human kind "dominion" over creation. Yes, it means we may work it and use its resources wisely, but it also means responsibility and care for the environment.
I know that true stewardship of creation means more than just sorting my trash. Out of the three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle) recycling is actually the least effective and most costly in terms of time, energy and resources. There are also many other pressing environmental concerns. My blue box and green bin, however, are a start and a fairly straight forward way that I can at least begin to be more aware of the creation around me.






No comments:

Post a Comment