Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Snowbirds


Another Canadian icon would have to be the legendary Canadian Forces aerobatics team called the Snowbirds. This world famous demonstration team is a staple at many North American air shows. I had a pilot once say to me that everyone knows that they are the best in the world because they can do what they do with such such limited technology. They really do rely on the skill, talent and knowledge of the pilots. I was reminded of that conversation recently, when talking to another friend. My friend was recounting a story told to him by a pastor who had returned from a Mission trip overseas. While on the trip, this pastor had a conversation with the leader of the growing church in that country. The pastor asked this local leader about what bible study and discipleship materials they used, what curriculum. A little perplexed, this leader responded...”The Bible.” He was not joking or being sarcastic. He went on to explain a rather straight forward, simple to use and simple to reproduce method of studying the bible that they have found to be very effective. in many parts of the world, access to a bible is a challenge in and of itself, let alone the kind of access to programs, curriculum and resources that we have in North America. i find myself thinking about this a lot lately. Could it be that with such access to resources etc. that we have aloud ourselves to become dependent? I don’t mean to bash curriculum, or publishing by any means. There are many areas where I find them to be a real blessing and practical tool. But I do wonder if we can become dependent, in an unhealthy way, unable to go to the bible ourselves and find the riches that God has in store for us. Am I , and is my ministry paralyzed without someone else’s program? What would happen if circumstances were to change for whatever reason, and the abundance of extra biblical resources were no longer available? I have been experimenting with a very simple study approach of my own. It has a few of my own ideas, but is mostly a combination of approaches others have introduced me to that show promise. The goal is to have something simple to remember, simple to walk through, and simple to show someone else how to do and how to lead others through. It is still very preliminary, and I have just started to try with some friends. I share it hear just as a thought. if you have constructive criticism I would love you to leave a comment!
COIN study tool - Context, Observation, Interpretation, Now Apply It


Context -
where does the passage fit into biblical history, within the book, within the chapter (what happens before and after)?

Who is talking to whom, what is the occasion, what is being addressed etc?


Observation - check the SPECKS, look for a Sin, Promise, Example, Command, or Knowledge Statement (something we learn about God or humanity etc.)

Interpretation -
sometime this happens naturally as you make observations but sometimes a bit more time can be spent to go from knowing what it says to learning what that means.

Now Apply It - based on what we have learned, what do you need to do about it specifically and intentionally. This can also be a great thing to pray about as an individual or for members of a group t pray for each other.


Whatever we do, lets dig in, let us be yoked together with Jesus and learn from Him.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jason
    I think this is approach has some real potential for my situation in China, both for personal use and with small groups.
    Maybe I am intimidated by the phrase, Biblical history, but I think I would need some help from an outside source in being able to accurately define the context. I could do the immediately before and after by reading the previous and following passages but I would have difficulty with a bigger context.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete