Wednesday, March 4, 2009

CN Tower II

More than just a very cool building, and tourist attraction the CN Tower actually serves a very practical purpose. In fact, much of what it is famous for (its one time status as tallest freestanding structure, the observations decks, the revolving restaurant etc.) were really just secondary thoughts. The primary purpose of the CN Tower has always been as a TV and radio communications tower. As Toronto grew in the 1960’s, and as its downtown core continued to develop including some very tall skyscrapers, bringing signals to and from the downtown core became problematic. It was necessary to build a tower whose antenna would reach above the rooftops of the city. It got me thinking about communicating a message. I think about the CN Tower and I recognize the length some are willing to go to ensure that their message is communicated. It represents an amazing investment of time, energy, ingenuity and resources to accomplish the goal of communicating a message. As followers of Jesus, we too are entrusted with an important message of love and hope that we are supposed to communicate. Do we show the same commitment to the task? I am really asking this question to myself, and making it personal. I could be distracted by the CN Tower analogy and immediately start thinking in terms of infrastructure, radio and television ministries and large scale programs for mass communication. They may all have their place, but for me personally, the question should be what do I need to be doing right here and now? We may not all be on TV, but we do none the less have a responsibility to share the message. I really believe in a relational approach, trusting that God has me where I am for a purpose, and that there are opportunities that God has for me through my relationships. In fact, by building relationships I have a better opportunity to do what God has called us to do, which is not to just make converts but disciples. This will require more than just a good way to communicate a message, but will require intentional, long term investment as we pour into peoples lives. This having been said, however, the CN Tower challenges me about my commitment to the task. I am challenged to consider my investment, my commitment and the length I am willing to go to live out this call. When I consider the importance of our message, I find myself thinking how much more effort should we be making?

No comments:

Post a Comment