Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

What the heck does Auld Lang Syne mean? I hear it sung every New Years but had no clue what it means. In fact I couldn’t even remember anything but the first line! Well this year I looked it up and discovered that this old Scottish phrase is roughly translated as “old long since,” or “days gone by.” So at New Years, as we look forward to the year that has arrived in all its newness, we pause to look back. We ask “Should old aquaintance be forgot?” to which the chorus responds - not at all. The song really is about relationships. It is a song about remembering and celebrating old relationships as we look to the new year. There are many relationships that I will be remembering and celebrating this year...my family, my church family, my friends and each of my children especially. I will also be celebrating my amazing wife - all that we have shared, all that we will share in this new year and just how special she is to me. There is one other relationship that I would like to celebrate this New Years as well, and that is my relationship with Jesus. I think that as I hear this song played over the next few days, I would like it to be a reminder to stop and give thanks for my relationship with my Lord, Saviour and Friend. I also hope to begin 2009 with a re-commitment to that relationship, to re-kindle and fan into flame that relationship and aim to make 2009 a year of worship, passionate commitment and hope. I don’t know where your relationship with Jesus may stand - close and personnel, distant or neglected, non-existent or perhaps you have never even considered it. Wherever it may be, let me invite you to at least consider it this year and to make it a part of your New Years Celebration. Here are some words to think about: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13 “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my father I have made known to you.” John 15:14-15

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! You are amazing yourself.. you, your lovely wife and especially your beautiful children. You are a shining example of commitment. I intend to celebrate my relationship to my Lord, Saviour and friend in 2009. I like Moses will be asking… “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favour with you.” Ex. 33:13 The conversation between God and Moses goes on where God promises to provide Moses with rest…but more than that he promises that his presence will go with Moses. God also tells him in verse 17 “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I KNOW YOU BY NAME.” I want God to know me by name, to grant his presence to me each day, in each conversation, in each interaction, in each relationship and especially in the new challenges that are in store for me in 2009. I pray that I will be worshipful in my attitude in every encounter He entrusts me to be His ambassador. It is such a pleasure and a privilege to have friends like you that I will journey with in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete