Thursday, June 14, 2012

A book to consider

I thought I might start using Thursdays to post briefly about something I have been reading or listening to etc. that you might enjoy as well.  Over the past few years, I have intentionally been trying to spend a bit more time going to scripture as I have been trying to best hear from God about our new directions.  I also have this frustrated and skeptical part of me that has been bucking against the commercial industry that is Christian books or music.  I am still working through that issue!   There is one book that should change your life - the bible.  Anything else, despite what the publisher may say, the book jacket may claim or any endorsement might suggest take with, take with a grain of salt.  In fact Tim Challies has an interesting post about such things:

The Dirty Little Secret of Endorsements

As long as you recognize that even "Christian" stuff is being marketed at you and that someone is trying to sell you something, and that you still need to exercise discernment as you read, there is a lot of good that reading such books (and I hope to include things that are not just "Christian" here as well) can do.  My skepticism is more than just a bit hypocritical as there have been many books that have really influenced my thinking and that I have found to be very helpful.

With all of that said here is something I have been reading lately.
   
I have been reading through a book entitled:
Read the Bible For Life - your guide to understanding and living God's Word
 http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/readthebible/

I was actually given this book at a conference a year ago.  My wife first read it and said that she had found it quite helpful.  I am reading through it now and, so far, I concur.  Written by George Guthrie, the book is composed of interviews with scholars meant to help give tools to better read, understand, interpret and apply the scriptures.  It has many great thoughts about understanding context, literary form etc. and how that should and can shape one's interpretation and application of biblical truth.  There are a lot of great thoughts in this book and it is also very readable for the average lay person. 
As my wife said, "you went to seminary so you probably know a lot of this and take it for granted, but I didn't and it is really helpful."  She is correct, much of what is in the book I do take for granted, but it has been a great reminder and I have also been picking up many new and helpful nuggets along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment