Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Interrupted Prayer

I got up a little later than usual, and others in the house where up a little earlier.  After spending time reading in Luke 15, I recognized the living room was getting a bit too busy for a time of prayer and meditation, so I decided to move outside to the front porch.  It was only a little less distracting out there.  A few neighbours heading off to work and a few walking kids to school made it a bit difficult to concentrate.  I did, however, manage a few minutes of reflection on the theme of seeking the lost that is so pronounced in Luke 15.  As I meditated, one more distraction walked by.  My neighbour passed by, calling back to his father two doors down.  As I decided to end my attempt at a prayer time, it dawned on me that perhaps this distraction was not a distraction, but rather an answer to prayer, a reminder and a spurring on.

A few weeks ago, this same neighbour had approached me to return a broom that I had lent him.  After some small talk about the neighbourhood and how, as a child, he used to play in what is now my home with a friend, he began to ask spiritual questions.  He is in a time of seeking and investigating spiritual matters.  At the end of the conversation he said he would definitely be in touch with more questions later.  That was a few weeks ago and he had not mentioned it since, nor had I even seen him very much.  Seeing him that morning reminded me that perhaps I need to take the initiative.

The next day, when I saw him again, I intentionally went over to say hello.  I also took with me a book that addressed many of the things he had mentioned in our last conversation.  He was genuinely appreciative and expressed that it was exactly the sort of thing he was looking for as he continues his exploration.  

So, although it was interupted and did not feel particularly satisfying, perhaps it was a fruitful time of prayer after all.  My eyes and heart were opened, an application presented itself quite clearly and I recognized an opportunity for obedience.  Is there anything more we can ask for out of a time of prayer and meditation in scripture?  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment