Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Update Tuesday-catching up

It was New Years Eve morning when I was at a brunch hosted by our Fellowship@Fifty crew (our Thurs. night Stoney Creek Fellowship).  I am not exactly sure how the conversation started but the gentleman next to me was sharing about what he did for Christmas. It was a fascinating story for me to hear.  

On Christmas Eve, this gentleman came to visit the open house and evening service hosted by our Wed. Fellowship@Locke.  As he shared he began, albeit somewhat timidly in my presence, with a confession.  I began that service by sharing with the group that we would be reading the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke, interspersed with relevant hymns and Carols.   His first response, he admited, was "thats it?!"  Having grown up in the church  he had heard this story so many times.  Where was the eloquent and deeply theological sermon?  How would he get anything out if it?  "Really, I came all the way just to hear you read the story?" he thought.  But then, something amazing happened.  As the story was being read, our friend began to look around the room.  What he saw astounded him.  He saw a room full of people who where captivated by what they were hearing, mezmerized by a story that we so often take for granted.  For many in the room that night, it was their first time ever hearing the Christmas story.  Growing up in places around the world, in other cultures, some Budhist, others atheist, they had never heard the story of the birth of Jesus.  We were priviledged to share it with them. 

As my friend recounted this story it reminded me of some lessons I have been learning lately.  These days what we do is often fairly simple.  With many people from different cultures who are just learning English, there are barriers to communication.  With so many who are just hearing of Jesus for the first time, we spend a lot of time just introducing Him and touching on the basics.  I am learning that it is not about me.  As much as I enjoy preaching, preparing and delivering a thorough and well prepared sermon, I do not do it all that often in my own church.  We must currently keep the language and content a bit simpler.  That is what is needed these days.  Secondly, I have been reminded that there is power in scripture and, in particular, the stories of Jesus.  Although simple, we have seen that when scripture is read, or stories of Jesus are told they have the power to capture hearts and minds.  

One if my prayers is that the observation  shared by that gentleman at the New Year's Eve brunch might be shared by more of us.  Can we see the opportunity and invitation to join God in His mission as we serve to help others grow in their knowledge of Jesus?  We can be challenged that it is not what we get but what we give-how we serve.  We can be encouraged that it can actually be quite simple.  

We would asked for your continued prayers as we seek to continue to introduce and teach about Jesus, and for wisdom as we seek to disciple new, young believers.  Please continue to pray that we might be able to make disciples that make disciples.   

No comments:

Post a Comment