Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Art - a portrait of my grandpa

My Grandma passed away last year and since that time my grandfather has moved into a retirement residence.  My first time to be able to visit him at the new place was at Christmas.  He made sure to take me on a tour of the facilities, visiting the piano lounge where he daily entertains the other residents, the dining room, the pool-table room and finally ending at his personal room.  The room is a small unit with a office area, sitting room, bedroom and a bathroom.  By this time he had been in the facility for a few months and so it was decorated.  Maybe it was because the room was a bit smaller than the house he had been living in, or maybe the change of context just refocused my attention but, despite the fact that all of the art was the same from his home I was taken by it.  What was most intriguing to me was the fact that everything, on every wall or shelf, was done by one of his children (with a few contributions from grandchildren in there!)  I was reminded once again about the unusually creative family into which I was brought; artists, actors and musicians, of whom I am among the least accomplished.  It is inspiring and humbling all at the same time.
While I am away this week, I am sharing a picture I quickly took with my iPhone while in my grandfather's apartment.  Below is a portrait of my Grandfather done by my Uncle Mark.  It was framed and behind glass so you can see my reflection...and a lamp...but I think the beauty of the work itself still shows through.


No comments:

Post a Comment