Thursday, March 4, 2010

New Soles for My Boots


It finally happened, after five years of almost daily wear, I went through the sole of my favourite pair of boots. When I bought this pair of boots, I spent way more than I had ever spent before but considering how long they have lasted I cannot complain. They were well worth the extra money up front considering how well and how long they lasted. The amazing thing is that although I went through the sole (which is to be expected after all these years of daily, all season wear) the rest of the boot was in great condition. This got me to thinking about the possibility of getting new soles put on them. I went to the Internet and got on the web site for the boot company to see what I could find out. Sadly, right on their web site, they specifically state that they do not recommend re-soling their boots. They use a a lot of big words and lingo, but basically they mass produce these things with a specific technique that makes it uneconomical to offer re-soling. Again the boots lasted five years, and they don't really owe me anything, but I am always skeptical when a company tells you not to fix something but to just buy new ones. I did a bit of searching and found a guy on-line who claimed to be able to put a new sole on, but after the cost of shipping and handling it was not all that less expensive an option. I had all but lost hope, when one day I was in the mall and remembered the old shoe repair place, a tiny shop in the corner of the mall that has been their for years. Could it really be that simple? I took my boots in and the guy behind the counter had a quick look and told me it would be no problem. I noticed that the boot companies web site doesn't mention that it is possible to have them re-soled by someone else, even though they don't do it themselves. The guy in the shop showed me the sole he could put on it, told me it would take a few days and I am happy to report that I now have an almost new pair of boots on my feet!
Now here is the spot that you are probably expecting a play on words and some devotional thought about a new "soul", or something like that. I will avoid the obvious pun! But, the whole thing has got me thinking about contentment again. I have mentioned this biblical theme before so there is nothing new here. I have been reminded, however, about what a challenge it is to remain content in a commercial culture that we live in here in North America. We are constantly being told about new things that will make our life better. Advertisers are constantly offering subtle (or not so subtle) suggestions that our lives are lacking or that there are things we need. We live in a culture in which it is increasingly rare to fix things, or have them repaired when it is faster and easier, not to mention so much more fun, to get something new! The truly sad thing is that it is often less expensive to buy something new than to have it repaired which seems so wasteful. I wish I had more practical ways to get around this phenomenon, but my boots were at least one way.
There are some general rules that I have been learning:

1) You don't need half the crap people tell you you need.
2) Watch less T.V., see fewer adds (especially your kids. Compare attitudes after watching commercial T.V verses commercial free/no T.V)
3) Take everything with a grain of salt.
4) Yes, there are some things that you can repair.

Not rocket science, I know, but worth remembering. Hopefully they may be small steps towards living out the scriptural principle to be "content with what you have" (Hebrew 13:5)



No comments:

Post a Comment