Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Adopt - A - Doctor


I remember my kids coming home with exciting news from the zoo...they were going to adopt a gorilla! They had seen a poster that said “Adopt a Gorilla for your Grandchild” and thought that this was a great thing to have their grandpa do for them. Our oldest two children were adopted, came to live with us and have become a true part of our family so how cool it would be if we could do the same for a Gorilla! They all now claim that they were just kidding and that they knew it didn’t quite work that way. I am not so sure about how much each child actually believed, but I do know that all of them (except my oldest daughter who does not really like animals) thought it would be cool. When I think about the culture around me, I recognize that we use that term “adopt” quite regularly, for a whole host of purposes. There is, of course, the traditional sense of welcoming in a child into your family to love, care for and support them. This is such a significant and worthy endeavour. I think about how Joseph “adopted” Jesus, who had no earthly father, to care for and support him through his youth. And of course Ephesians talks about God “adopting” us through Jesus. I recognize that it is a deeply biblical concept that reflects God’s heart. And then there is the more common use of the word that has developed, in which we are encouraged to take part in a particular cause or issue and join in taking responsibility for something. We can adopt any number of animals, either to bring home, or, as in the case of the zoo, to support financially. In Ontario we can adopt ponds and waterways and even highways! We are encouraged to participate and take ownership of caring for and supporting these various things. If you were to stop and think about it I am sure there are a number of other things you could think of that we are invited to “adopt.” With this in mind I have been thinking about “adopt-a-doctor.” My thought is that I may not become a doctor or surgeon any time soon and be able to serve in such a capacity, but I could support, pray for and encourage one who is. My family could take it upon ourselves to support one of those front line workers as they invest themselves in caring for others and battling some effects of sin in the world. We are considering “adopting” Dr. Singh, the surgeon who has cared for and operated on Liam. Our goal is to pray for her daily, to pray for her as an individual, to pray for her surgeries, to pray for her research, to pray for her family - husband and children who in many different ways share in the burden that a surgeon carries. We could encourage both her and her family in many different practical and tangible ways. I know that she has an extremely busy and tight schedule and thus I would not expect her to necessarily be in constant contact but would definitely invite her to share prayer requests whenever she felt comfortable or felt it appropriate. It may be a small thing, but I imagine it could be significant. I know that there are things that the church may be able to do on a bigger scale and even an organizational scale. I also truly believe in smaller, personal, relational opportunities to make a difference in peoples lives. There are many of these opportunities around us and if we look for them we could make a very significant impact in our communities. Let me encourage you, is there someone in your life or your community investing themselves in caring for others in some capacity, that you in turn could support? Is there someone who, in the name of Jesus, you could “adopt”?

No comments:

Post a Comment