Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Magic 8 Ball


Life often leaves us with a lot of questions doesn’t it? One of those questions so often asked when things happen is “Why?” Despite the existence of the Magic 8 Ball – which claims to have an answer for everything, we all know that the why questions often go without a specific answers. As I read through the book of Job, I have been reminded of a few things. Firstly, God exists, is holy, righteous and worthy of our praise despite any circumstance. Secondly, there is a lot that happens which is beyond the scope of our finite perspective which often makes a full answer unknowable. As Job and his friends discover, the answer to a “why” question is not always as obvious as it seems. Sometimes I find myself getting stuck on the why questions, continuing to struggle for reasons and answers. Lately however, I have been thinking about some other questions like “What?” and “How?”.
Romans 8:28 makes a powerful statement when it states “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” For those who are believers, we have the assurance that in all things God works for the good. When circumstances tempt me to get stuck on the why question, I am challenging myself to ask other questions instead: What does God want to use this situation for?” “How is God going to use this for good?” or “How might God want to work through me in this circumstance?”
I might not ever know the “Why” in its full detail, but I have a feeling that a focus on the other questions it might be just as satisfying.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this reminder.

    Although, I like to consider myself an optimist, glass half full rather than half empty, I ask myself the question "Why" way too often.

    Your thought today will help me remember the words of Romans 8:28 and to focus on the "What" and "How". Realizing the glass is always half full is definitely more satisfying.

    Gerry

    ReplyDelete